Core 1 : Dyna and Core 2 : Nova studio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Is google making us stupid?

5 posters

Go down

Is google making us stupid? Empty Is google making us stupid?

Post  Sh0n3x Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:08 am

If you ask "Is Google Making Us Stupid?" the answer is "Yes" if Nicolas Carr, the author of book 'The Shallows: What the Internet is Doing to Our Brains' is to be believed. According to Nicolas the internet is making our brains dumber by depriving the exercise it needs, although a recent article published by Carr did used the title "Is Google Making Us Stupid?: What the Internet is doing to our brains" the article is not specifically targeted at Google, but at the whole affect of Internet which has made our lives so much easier negatively impacting our memory retention capabilities.

Read full article here (you should really do it). I really have to agree with this man. I find my memory to be VERY short for some time now, and my concentration sometimes is bad also.
Sh0n3x
Sh0n3x
Admin
Admin

https://dynamusecorp.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Is google making us stupid? Empty Re: Is google making us stupid?

Post  OverkilL Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:39 pm

im agree whit him, i think the same.
OverkilL
OverkilL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Back to top Go down

Post  XFiAudigy Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:51 am

agreed completely with that guy
XFiAudigy
XFiAudigy
Sergeant
Sergeant

Back to top Go down

Post  n00b_modders Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:36 am

agreed 50:50 the google doesn't fully make us stupid sometimes,it's useful to make us clever,
n00b_modders
n00b_modders
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh0n3x Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:13 pm

n00b_modders wrote:agreed 50:50 the google doesn't fully make us stupid sometimes,it's useful to make us clever,
You misunderstood the meaning. By allowing us to find basically any information we need google gives our brains less use. All we need are few words, couple of clicks and we gained the needed information (or similar).

Google is a search engine, not a website that offers it's contents (well it is a website but not like regular websites), and it only LINKS you to something you need. You can definitely learn something using google to find some text and learn it. I myself have been studying 3d max through internet, but I didn't mean it that way.
Sh0n3x
Sh0n3x
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  n00b_modders Sat Sep 18, 2010 12:42 am

Sh0n3x wrote:
n00b_modders wrote:agreed 50:50 the google doesn't fully make us stupid sometimes,it's useful to make us clever,
You misunderstood the meaning. By allowing us to find basically any information we need google gives our brains less use. All we need are few words, couple of clicks and we gained the needed information (or similar).

Google is a search engine, not a website that offers it's contents (well it is a website but not like regular websites), and it only LINKS you to something you need. You can definitely learn something using google to find some text and learn it. I myself have been studying 3d max through internet, but I didn't mean it that way.
lol..but it unrealizedly train our fast reading ability,coz we need too sweeps hundred of words on a page for the information and of course this requires our brain to analyzes these things quickly..this one is still make our brain useful.

Last edited by n00b_modders on Sat Sep 18, 2010 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fixed grammar)
n00b_modders
n00b_modders
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Back to top Go down

Post  Ryoken Sat Sep 18, 2010 5:57 am

Yeah.. I guess I kinda agree on this one. By using google, we rely more on it for doing simple assignments (On my country, wikipedia is the #1 problem solver for all assignments of students but hard to conclude that this site is guaranteed to get a good grade..)

Even if we google something, we tend to focus on the name of the website and any letters in bold that matches our searches.
Then we thought that we have the answer but we don't. We just skim (reading faster than normal) through the pages and jot down the important stuff without understanding it.
My mates often do this. Though I don't know what will happen to them when someone spills the beans.

I guess I kinda got a bit off-topic here but all in all, if you need to know something and someone that is reliable, not google. But for other reasons, it isn't that bad. Google is kinda useful when you want to know random facts like: out of four americans, one will be seen on TV. So if you want to know from the community, google might be the solution

Offtopic: May I ask why is this in the News section? Laughing

Last edited by Ryoken on Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:08 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : My reason is: for no reason... ??)
Ryoken
Ryoken
Private
Private

Back to top Go down

Post  Sh0n3x Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Ryoken wrote:May I ask why is this in the News section? Laughing
idk lol
moved it
Sh0n3x
Sh0n3x
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down